Have you gotten to the end of the year and realised you haven’t completed the required hours of Professional Development for your Teacher’s registration? It happens to me EVERY year!
It is much harder as a Supply teacher to get access to PD but it is an important part of teaching in order to keep up our skills. There are some great courses and information out there to help keep us up to date with the changes going on in schools and classrooms and to keep our skills current to ensure we stay employable!
Remember you need to have a balanced selection of PD to cover all the Teaching Standards. 20 hours of “Professional Reading” won’t suffice unfortunately.
Here are some avenues where you can access free or low cost Professional Development –
- 1. Your State’s Teacher Governing Body should have many free online courses available such as Student Protection, Code of Conduct, Behaviour Management etc.
- 2. Ask schools you are familiar with if you can sit in on their Professional Development meetings or Pupil Free Days.
- 3. First Aid and CPR is required as part of your registration and helps knock out a few mandatory hours.
- 4. Relief teaching.com has online courses plus lots of other resources for Relief Teachers all for $18/Lifetime membership.
- 5. Relief Teacher Association gives you access to online webinars and courses for $20/course or unlimited access for $89/year.
- 6. Teachingchannel.org has an abundance of online video and training resources all for free.
- 7. Teacherstv.com.au also has free online video and training resources that you can access.
- 8. Brite.edu.au offers 5 online learning modules to help build resilience in pre-service teachers.
- 9. Professional Reading is ideal for keep up with the latest teaching trends and also a great way cover the last few hours remaining for your PD requirements.
Don’t get caught out by not completing your requirements for your Teacher’s Registration. I have been audited before, so don’t think it won’t be me!